Laptop computers provide important functionality for specific purposes, allowing faculty and staff to have a computing resource at hand in meetings/conferences, enabling those who travel to be maximally functional and productive while away, and those who (occasionally) work at home to eliminate duplication of resources, files, etc.
With the privilege of using IST Austria owned laptop computers comes an additional responsibility to protect them from potential theft or damage. If a laptop is stolen or lost, there are additional security implications for the data that may be stored on that laptop.
All laptops owned by IST Austria are governed by this policy, including systems made available as primary workstations, assigned within a departmental office, rent out by IT or purchased through grants for specific projects.
The purpose of this policy is to regulate the use and liability of laptops owned by IST Austria. This policy should be read and thoroughly understood before the take-over and use of a laptop.
This policy is applicable to all current users of the IST Austria IT infrastructure who are using laptops loaned to them by Institute of Science and Technology Austria. Laptops owned by IST Austria may be used for the following work-related purposes, including but not limited to:
- Using the laptop as the primary workstation computer on campus.
- Using the laptop on a trip, such as to a conference, workshop, etc.
- Using the laptop to make a presentation on or off campus.
- Using the laptop for any other work related task.
- All users are personally responsible for the security and safety of their assigned laptop.
- All users are personally responsible for full repair or replacement cost if the laptop is damaged or made inoperable by gross misuse or negligence.
Physical Protection and Reasonable Care
- Each user of a Institute-owned laptop is responsible for the security of that laptop, regardless of whether the laptop is used in the office, at one’s place of residence, or in any other location such as a hotel, conference room, car or airport. Users are expected to provide reasonable care and effort to protect the laptop.
- The equipment may not be transported as checked luggage on public transportation (airplanes, trains, and buses). The user will keep the equipment in their possession at all times while traveling.
- Carrying cases and laptops should be labeled accordingly so in the event of a loss the equipment might be returned. All laptops must have a asset tag, which is provided by IST Austria. Other stickers are not allowed.
- Special care should be taken with the security of the laptop. Equipment must not be left unattended in public areas. Do not leave your office unlocked, even for a brief time, if your laptop is not secured in the office.
- Do not store laptops in a locked car or car trunk, as severe temperatures may damage it and the car may be broken into if the laptop can be seen.
- The user is responsible for the security of all IST Austria data stored on, or carried with, the laptop.
- The user is responsible to make sure that virus protection updates, operating system updates and virus scans are performed regularly (if applicable).
- When connecting to the IST Austria for work purposes, or when using your laptop in a public place, you should use a VPN or another encrypted connection to the institute to ensure that the communication is secure.
- Do not alter any system software or hardware configuration unless instructed to do so by someone from IST Austria IT.
- Safe guard the device and data by ensuring the laptop is “locked” or the user is logged off when not in use.
Inventory Tracking and Disposal
- Upon leaving the institute, the laptop, all peripheral devices and the carrying case must be returned to IT support on or before the last working day. Under certain circumstances, the laptop may also be purchased by the user. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
- Do not give the laptop to anyone else for use. Inform email@example.com if the laptop should be used by someone else.
- Employees who are taking administrative leave must have approval from their immediate supervisor before taking a laptop while on leave.
- When a laptop reaches the end of its useful life, it needs to be returned to IT support for disposal. They will ensure that the hard drive is wiped clean before the unit leaves the institute.
Effective Date: 2016-08-01
Next Review: 2021-02-15
Last Reviewed: 2020-02-15
Owner: IST Austria IT
|1.0||2016-08-01||Initial Version||Stephan Stadlbauer|
|1.1||2020-02-13||Copied from Wiki, restructured document, added document control, layout, some rephrasing for clarifying||Stephan Stadlbauer|
|Roland Gansch||Division Head of SSUs||Waiting for review|
|Patrick Meidl||Teamlead Software Development||Waiting for review|
|Christoph Haindl||Teamlead IT Support||Waiting for review|