Short answer: Yes you can.
But – you need to follow a few basic principles to do so:
You are not allowed to save passwords/automatic connections on a PC which is shared with someone else, and there is no additional protection (e.g. different accounts for all family members) in place!
You are not allowed to copy institute data which contains personal data (e.g. list of employees with private phone numbers) or sensitive institute data (e.g. financial data) to your private device!
Please ensure you have a recent virus scan application installed on your private computer. See -> Virus Scan Policy
All IT services where data does NOT leave IST IT systems (i.e. where you do not have to download/copy data to a local computer) can be used from any private system without taking additional precautions!
Ensure you log out of all systems after work!
Such systems are:
- Remote Desktop connection (WT10) if all data stays IN the Window. (This also applies to SAPREMOTE, where it’s technically limited to copy data out!)
- ISTCloud (if used on the web and no files get downloaded/synced)
- Using SSH to login to central services (e.g. the HPC cluster)
- Do not sync all ISTCloud libraries to a private computer. You can certainly sync a few, if these libraries do not contain sensitive personal and/or institutes data.
- Do not send your IST emails to a private account, use either our web mail or configure your mail-client to use IST mail servers
- Do not download (sensitive) documents from the email to the desktop of your private PC which is also used by family/roommates.
I want to work with IST documents on my private computer
This is basically possible, please ensure:
- You are the only user of this computer or every user on this computer has a different user-account.
- You’ve software licenses to work with such documents.