Mailing lists management in ICP
In the Self-Service area of ICP, you can see and modify your own subscriptions to mailing lists at IST Austria, and also manage the lists your’re owner or manager of. Additionally, you can request a new mailing list from there.
Types/Categories of mailing lists
The following categories of mailing lists are defined at the moment:
- Research group
- Working group / Topic / Project (any possible scientific/non-scientific project)
- Organizational / Unit (Divisions/Units/Teams, but also lists like scientists, staff,…)
- Event / Conference
- Building (These list inform about construction issues in the particular building, you’ll get added automatically to the building you’re in)
- Education / Courses (Mainly courses from the graduate school, but other trainings might be possible, too)
- Free time (Anything not directly work related, like the social-events, Football and similar lists)
- Uncategorized (Should be empty, but some lists don’t fit into existing categories.)
- For all lists, except for Research group and Event/Conferences internal users get automatically unsubscribed if they leave the institute.
- For all lists, only members of the list can send mails to the list. Members are able to post with any address registered in ICP for a particular user, also external ones.
My mailing lists
This is an overview of all mailing lists you’re subscribed to and/or can manage.
– just click on the button, and you’re unsubscribed from the list.
– if you’re manager of a list, you can manage (i.e. add/remove members, change category,..) of the list
All mailing lists
This gives an overview about all existing mailing lists. This view can be grouped by category or by popularity, which is based on the number of members and the monthly volume of emails on the list.
- – just click on the button, and you’re unsubscribed from the list.
- – if the list is not “free to join”, you can request the membership, which has to be approved by one of the managers.
– if the list is “free for join”, you can just subscribe to a mailing list by clicking this button.
Request new mailing list
If you want to request a new mailing list, just fill in the form. You should decide for a name, a category and also the “Description” field is necessary. If your list will also have external (i.e. non @ist.ac.at email-addresses) members, please tick “Allow external members”.
At the moment, your request will be sent to IT Support, and usually approved. If the list does not get approved, you’ll also receive an email.
Management of mailing lists
If you click on , on lists you’re manager, you’ll see the following mask, which shows an overview of your list:
Important are the possibilities to add/remove members by either or .
There are also one link (or two links if you allow external members):
- The “List URL” which you would use, to announce the list internally, in emails and/or wiki, webpages,…
- The “URL for external users (public)” which allows external users to subscribe/unsubscribe to your list. You would use this on your webpage, email,…
Mailing list settings
The tab “Mailing list settings” allows you to configure your group, by
- Allowing/disallowing members to join or leave. If you disable this settings, users can only join your list if a manager of the list approves the request to join, and members can only be deleted by group managers.
- Changing the category.
- Changing the description. It is highly suggested to have a description of your list.
- Allowing/disallowing new external members. If you’ve already external members on the list, they wont get deleted if you change this settings, but new external members cannot be added.
- If needed, you can restrict the posting to the list to group managers.
If you are the owner and manager of this group, you can delegate group management to other people. Group managers themselves cannot add other group managers. A group manager does not need to be subscribed onto the list.
The Group Audit gives you an overview about changes in your mailing list. If the Author is “sys_icp”, the ICP has added/removed members automatically (e.g. someone joined or left IST) to your group.